Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Prologue


I love film. There are many people who love film. I know plenty who love watching movies. I, also, am familiar with a certain group of folk who love to attend the cinema. Each of these groups are, in fact, helpless victims to the undeniable power of the moving image. We could all, easily, say that we're fans of the moving image, but we would all sound like jackasses. So, we choose the sub-name of the moving image that we're most comfortable saying and that ends up being our go-to expression. As I just stated, I love film. I'm a filmgoer. There aren't a lot of things that make me happier than sitting down and looking at a good film. Maybe Alabama football, but I've been at that one for awhile, now. That's in a league by itself.

I believe I'm doing this blog for several reasons. I want to hone my writing skills, because I'm looking at going to grad school for film studies. Also, I would like to express my opinions in a little bit more formal of a setting than a bar with a hapless friend who could care less about my pontificating. My biggest hope is that discussions can arise from these entries. That's my ultimate goal. Someone will feel some type of emotion and want to argue or just have a great discussion. Talking about film is too much fun for me. Talking about the less-than-stellar ones is almost as much fun as talking about the great ones, simply for the challenge. To be able to come up with a lucid argument, showing the hidden genius behind Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, Tommy Boy, or Billy Madison is an exercise in cinematic maneuvering.

Bottom line: any film, movie, or piece of cinema deserves to be discussed. I'm not saying just the good ones. The bad ones deserve it, too. If you think I'm wrong, then I dare you to tell me that you've never told a friend, almost ecstatically, how horrible the piece of crap you just saw, truly was. You start talking about why it was so horrible, don't you? Certain shots or dialogue absurdities. It's a great feeling. Anyway, I hope you enjoy what I'm attempting to do. Thanks.

Jonathan

3 comments:

Laurel said...

i am looking forward to reading this fo sho.

Andrew said...

i might be able to discuss stuff on here...once i finish dr. holtzclaw's class.

Unknown said...

Touching commentary my friend. You moved me to make a difference in the world. Actually I believe that was my acid reflux, but anyway welcome to the world of blogging. You will be one of the greats. You will go down with the likes of such other notable bloggers: rollerderbygirl, mofofosho,chokesondick, and of course supercalafragilisticexbealoedocious. Look forward to your next post.

Out